Thursday, April 17, 2014

Memories, Dr. Suess, and a Testimony

Merrium-Webster defines a memory as "the store of things learned and retained from someone's activity or experience". 

What is your fondest memory? (You're probably sitting here thinking "I have no idea"). 

Let me tell you mine. 

I can remember the day I found Jesus like it was yesterday. I was "saved" around ten years ago but I didn't come to know Jesus until July 25th, 2013. I was sitting in the auditorium of a high school in Cleveland, Ohio and I was actually there on a mission trip. I was currently at the worst point in my life because I had become a victim of my circumstances. 

It was called a Concert of Prayer and I was absolutely dreading it going in because my initial thought was "who wants to pray for an hour and a half?". Little did I know that the biggest turning point of my life would happen in that hour and a half.

One of the leaders stood up and said "Let go of everything that is weighing you down. Let go of your circumstances and the control over your life. Bring it all to the feet of Jesus". (now you're probably singing "Let It Go" from Frozen in your head which is totally okay).. It was in that moment that I felt tears streaming down my face. I was crying hysterically because it was like everything I had been carrying on my shoulders was gone. The pain was gone. I closed my eyes and gave my life to Christ in that moment. 

What a distinct feeling that was. 

Dr. Suess said, "You will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory". 

I believe that we have as many memories as their are stars in the sky, but I would compare my fondest memory to something as unique as the moon that gives light in the darkness. Memories are gifts, but sometimes they are burdens. The ability of your brain to look back on a moment and make you feel as if it were happening now is nothing short of miraculous. 

Sure we all are going to have good memories and bad ones, but which one do you have more of? Are they memories of value and depth? Do they make you smile and wish it could happen all over again? I sure hope so. 

I wonder what life would be like without memories. 

So I ask you again, what is your fondest memory? 



No comments:

Post a Comment